GET THE BEST DISCOUNT ON PHONES, LAPTOPS, HOME AND OFFICE APPLIANCES AND MANY MORE

Tuesday 13 October 2015

WINNING THE LAGOS HUSTLE

I AM BACK!!!!
and better...
I have decided this time around to start with something different
something from a different perspective
SO HERE IT IS
One of the introductions to a new era in our creative writing forum
THE GUEST WRITER OF THE WEEK
This week's guest is a colleague of mine whose style of writing is catchy as well as inspiring
he is a patriot both in words, in action and in the pen
here is one of them
ENJOY...


this work is culled from his collection of short stories titled: UNDESIRABLE INCIDENTS

CULTURAL PROBLEM
I have been in Lagos for over ten years. These years were a hard time for me. Everything was very different for me: different language, different customs, different food, and different people. I was like a foreign because there were many things that I didn't know, and I had to learn everything again. 

On March, 2005, while I was sitting in a commercial bus from Anyigba to Lagos, I was thinking about my family, my friends, and my future. I thought, "Why do you want to go to Lagos? You are fine here with your mother and other friends. Everything in Anyigba is very good. If you are going to Lagos, you don't know what will happen in your future. My mother was not worried about me because she wanted me to further my university education in Lagos." Suddenly in my mind I heard these words: "You are a competent young man. You will have a beautiful future in Lagos." I thought my friends were just talking. Yes, I could do many things in Anyigba, but I also would be able to do many things in Lagos. When the bus arrived in Lagos, I walked very firmly like others. I believed that I would be a competent young man in this new land. 

During the first two months, I had a very happy time living with my elder brother. This is a beautiful place and it’s indeed depicts her name as a centre of excellence. Many things were fresh. "I need to do something by myself," I thought. I told my brother, "I want to know this community. I want to find a job." "Are you sure?" he asked. "Yes, I am sure." 

The second day, I went out wanting to find a job. "How long have you been here? Can you speak Yoruba?" Everybody asked me. Even though I had studied some Yoruba in those days I mixed up with Yoruba tribe in the same house where my brother lived, I couldn't speak at all. After a few days, nobody wanted me to work in his or her company. I was very disappointed. I couldn't speak Yoruba. 

I felt very bad. I went to the store, the hospital and everywhere I always needed my brother with me. If we went to some Yoruba friends' party, my brother needed to teach me the Yoruba customs. I couldn't speak to anybody. I was like a baby. I lost my confidence. I began to hate everything about Lagos life. I hated the people. I hated that my brother brought me to Lagos. I missed my home, my family, my friends, and my teaching job. In Anyigba, I worked as a teacher in Muslim High School where I earned three thousands Naira in a month. I am a smooth talker in my hometown, and many people trust me. In Lagos, however, I didn't have any good friends to talk to. I started looking and feeling lonely like a man who lives in solitude. My brother said, "You must go back to Anyigba. Otherwise, you will go crazy." But I didn't want to leave the land of great opportunity, and I didn't want my family and friends to see how I had changed for the worse.  After that, my brother spent a lot of time helping me overcome those cultural problems. He took me traveling to different places, and told me many good things about Lagos. I had some good changes.

A year later, I was admitted to study English in Lagos state University, Ojo. I met new friends who later changed my thought about Lagos. I had a wonderful time in the institution.
Right now I am very happy in Lagos. Lagos is a really nice place. I feel warm because there are nice people, and I have made new friends here. I am happy in my place of work because my Yoruba language is getting better and better. My confidence is growing more and more. I can talk again. Even though I can't speak very well, I believe I will be able to speak well someday. 

 If you ask me how I could overcome those cultural problems, I will tell you: my brother helped me overcome them, Lagos helped me overcome them, and the friends I met in the university helped me overcome them.

Name: Alih Rilwan


ARE YOU A WRITER?
then send a touching and inspiring piece with your name and details to daallosianpoet@gmail.com and stand a chance of getting and international audience
N.B: send only the works you want to share but if you want people to patronize your genius and art, we will promote you as long as your work contains vital and integral information


No comments:

Post a Comment